When planning a summer vacation with little kids, look for an exotic destination that kids can handle. Ranking as one of the kid-friendly exotic destinations is, of course The Maldives.
Take a deep breath, mama—don’t get swept away on a wave of stress. A fun day at a beach resort with your kids is possible, thanks to these stress-free travel tips.
Maldives is a sun, sand and sea destination. The Maldives has a year-round hot tropical climate. We get sunshine almost all the year around. The hottest period in the Maldives are from March to June. As Maldives is a tropical destination, also be prepared for light rain showers. Be prepared for monsoon winds, rain and rough seas if travelling through June – October. Sometimes, the weather conditions might vary according to your location in the archipelago.
- Be prepared for the climate.
- Remember just like anywhere else, Maldives Weather forecast is not an exact science (yes, Maldives climate is also changing)
As the Maldives is not a land-locked country, if you have booked your stay on a resort island or a local guesthouse on any inhabited island, be prepared to travel by sea and air transport. Be it a ferry boat, speed boat, domestic flight or sea plane.
- You might not need the car seat but we recommend baby carriers for easy travelling.
- If you have a child who experiences sea sickness, be prepared for that.
Keep the weather in mind and pack the lighter summer clothes for kids. We recommend comfortable airier footwear for kids.
- Sun protection is a must on your tropical getaway. Make sure you use sun protection before heading to the beach on any resort island in the Maldives.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to heading out on to the beach.
- Chill your sunscreen. That way, when you apply, you’ll help to cool down your body.
- Do not forget to take your water bottles. Keep yourself well hydrated.
- Aloe Vera Gel is good for sunburn.
With its sandy white clean beaches and the shallow waters around any island resort, you can be rest assured your kids can run about playing with the sand as you lie yourself down on a sun-lounger. Almost all islands in the Maldives are blessed with shallow clear lagoons. The average minimum sea temperatures vary little throughout the year and remain stable between 25°C and 28°C.
- You should just check the tide before taking them to the beach.
Almost all the beaches of the Maldives are soft with white sand and usually clear of rocks. All the beaches are swept clean always.
- Comfortable airier footwear for kids are recommended.
As Maldives is a tropical destination, you might sometimes feel the need to put on mosquito repellent to protect yourself. It is advised to apply mosquito repellent during the early morning hours and early evening. Almost all resort islands fumigate the environment to lessen the disturbance of mosquitoes.
- Remember to pack the mosquito repellent.
As each resort is an island to itself, you will not find supermarkets or pharmacies on the resorts but all resort islands have a resident doctor and basic medicine as well. Carrying a small first-aid kit, flu medicine and antihistamines will save you stress while travelling.
- Do not forget any specific medicine your child might be taking.
- Do remember any specific baby food your baby/toddler might be taking.
Depending on which atoll you are travelling to in the Maldives, you might have to wait at a domestic airport. In such cases, you might come across a moment where you might need changing a nappy or cleaning up your kid.
- Do not forget the baby wipes and sanitizers.
Most of the resorts in the Maldives have a Kids-Club which provide different activities as well as a clean and engaging environment. These Kids’ Clubs are supervised by the resort staff.
Whether you take the option to stay in a local guesthouse, a 4* or 5* resort or in any one of the branded luxurious resort hotels, book ahead. It will save you worry & stress with tired, hungry toddlers melting down.
- Do not forget to book ahead with Travel Centre Maldives.
- Choose a kid-friendly resort among the many options available in the Maldives.
- Ask questions. Contact us at Travel Centre Maldives for a stress-free family vacation in the Maldives.