Ifuru Airport has been officially opened
Ifuru Airport has been officially opened on Thursday, 28th of May 2015 at a ceremony held on the island of Ifuru. The recently developed domestic airport located in Raa Atoll was inaugurated by the Maldives President, Abdulla Yameen.
A joint venture was made between Argo Marine Pvt Ltd and the Government to construct the airport under Ifuru Investments and was formed on 3rd May 2011. Five percent of the company is controlled by the government and the agreement made was that the investment company should be granted three islands to develop holiday resorts.
Ifuru Investments officially handed over the developed airport to Island Aviation Services (Maldivian Airlines), to run the airport on behalf, which the company’s chairman Ahmed Shifau took responsibility of. The authority was given by the Maldives Tourism Minster, Ahmed Adheeb who is responsible for the Civil Aviation Regional Airports. The Island Aviation Services (IAS) Managing Director, Abdul Haris stated that the IAS Company is in charge of managing the Ifuru airport and it would open up a lot of job opportunities for the Maldivian youth as well.
Ifuru Airport has a 1200 metre runway and has already conducted test landings on Tuesday and started their services on Friday 29th of May 2015. A one way ticket costs MVR 777, whilst the cost of a two way ticket is MVR 1,554.
There are now 4 international Airports and 7 domestic airports in the island nation Maldives.
- Gan, Addu City – Gan International Airport
- Hanimaadhoo, Haa Dhaalu – Hanimaadhoo International Airport
- Hulhulé Malé – Ibrahim Nasir International Airport
- Maamingili, Alifu Dhaalu – Villa International Airport
- Dharavandhoo, Baa – Dharavandhoo Airport
- Fuvahmulah, Gnaviyani – Fuvahmulah Airport
- Ifuru, Raa – Ifuru Airport
- Kaadedhdhoo, Gaafu Dhaalu – Kaadedhdhoo Airport
- Kadhdhoo, Laamu – Kadhdhoo Airport
- Kooddoo, Gaafu Alifu – Kooddoo Airport
- Thimarafushi, Thaa – Thimarafushi Airport